Pulling off Pearl River

Now normally  a 2.3 mile trip is nothing to write home (or on here) a bout but last night  was definitely a travel worth nting. It seems the Cornerstone has lost a bit of its luster over the past year, the crew which I have affectionately called my drinkiong buddies have moved north of the border./ Now actually even though it's closer to my  house Westwood Taxi charge $25 without tip where as a trip to the Cornerstone is  $15 with tip, so it is only on special occasions I go up there.

Last night I had it in me I wanted to try something different. Maybe it was a little reward for getting back in the pool in over a month or writing a baby poem, though I still have three l=eft to write, so much for celebration.  Thoughts of the past few weeks flash through my  mind and I think it could have been I just needed a little more action the Cornerstone had to offer on a Thursday night. When the taxi dropped me off at the Cornerstone instead of going into the bar I walked across the street looked at the automated ticket machine and put my ATM card in and within seconds I had a one way ticket from Hillsdale to Pearl River.  I walked into the Cornerstone with a sense of accomplishment, yeah it's not something I'd brag about be hey. The bar was just about empty, as it has been on a Thursday night during the summer. I knew I made the right decision. I set  the alarm on my phone so I wouldn't miss the train.  Oone of the regulars offered to drive me up there, after all it IS ONLY 2.3 miles, but I declined, this was MY TRIP MY ADVENTURE.

The time of my departure was drawing near so I closed my tab  at the  Cornerstone and started for the  door. I asked the friend who offered to drive me up to get me on the train, he agreed and we made our way back across the street to the train station. The train pulled up and I boarded to find guys in suits looking like  they had a long day at the office.. I texted Dave who- was already up there with the crew. Even though I did a taxi up there a few times, even the train once, this felt different. It was spur of the moment, I didn't have everything set in stone. Thoughts flashed through my head, what if everyone had decided this was going to be one of those nights they  turned in early. Dave could walkk home at anytime. I sat down and heard the announcement, "Next stop Woodcliff Lake." then before I knew it Park  Ridge and Montvale flashed by, finally Pearl River came blaring over the train's PA system. The coonductor looked at me and said ok and ,helped me down  the stairs. nI carefully walked down the road and into the Horse and Jockey with a sense of accomplishment I hadn't felt in quite awhile. I wouldn't make a habit of it, although now that I did it once on St Patrick's Day and now last night, it's nice to know the option is there if I choose to u0se it

 Last night wasn't about drinking or even searching for a girl, although I met one at the Horse and Jockey. It was a reassertion of sorts.  The previous day I had a fall then a scare with the scooter on the same day, ndefinitely needed to build up my confidence again. I think that's why I texted Dave I knew even before I left the house I would wind up in Pearl River!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Grandma in Florida

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Twenty Seven years later