Writer Meets Editor




For the last year I have been submitting a few articles to  1st Responder News Network. The Editor Lindsey Palmer was really impressed with my skills.  When I found out she was going to be in Wilwood during the NJ Firefighter's Convention, I knew I had to meet her. Lindsey has been nothing but supportive of all my work. She put a photo of mine on the front page of the September 2019 edition. A copy of it is hanging over my desk. anyway below is the email exchange over a few weeks. We  really had a profound impact on each other as you can tell



---- Original Message ----
From: "Justin Mattes-KC2GIK" 
Sent: 9/16/2019 5:38:25 PM
To: "Lindsey Palmer" 
>
Subject: Wildwood

Lindsey,

I have to keep reminding myself you must be very busy  in the office
today. It was great to finally meet you in person last Friday. I know my
speech is very difficult to understand but I again want to thank you for
allowing me to contribute to 1st Responder.  You have given me a way to
contribute to the fire service. The September issue is hanging right over
my computer. The front page picture gave me a real sense of
accomplishment!!!

 I grew up in Woodcliff Lake and was always hopping on my scooter whenever
the fire whistle went off, I did it close to twenty years. Days before I
moved the department had a going away dinner for me.  At the end of
dinner Chief Lucia presented me with a helmet and made me an honorary
member.I have been going to Wildwood since I moved  to Cape May the
summer of 2015. When I moved to Cape May the fire department welcomed me
with open arms.They love seeing their names on the web and in print!! I
treasure my relationship with both departments.
Enclosed is the picture my mom took of us, I wanted you to have a copy!!!

Take care
-- 

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK


Hi Justin!

Meeting you was the highlight of my trip this year. It's not too often that
correspondents go out of their way to thank me or acknowledge things I do for them
in the newspaper, so it really meant a lot when you did. You made me feel really
special and I thank you for that.

On another note, we have a feature called "Meet Our Correspondents" that I'd love to
run about you! The background info you gave below would be perfect for it. Would
that be okay with you? After it prints you'll have another proud accomplishment to
hang next to your cover shot :)

I'd also like to send you a 1st Responder News polo and/or tee shirt. We're excited
and very grateful to have you represent us! What size should I send?

Again, it was wonderful meeting you and I'm looking forward to working with you
more. Don't hesitate to email me if you need anything at all.

PS: I was going to ask you for the photo of us, so thank you for sending it!

Talk to you soon,

-
Lindsey Palmer, Managing Editor
1st Responder News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part I

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part III