Come for a drink, stay for the music

Sometimes  the best things are left to chance and I couldn't have better proof than the event that happened last evening. My folks went out to dinner with friends and with nothing good on TV I decided to take a trip to the Cornerstone. Usually I go there only on Thursday nights to  hang out with my friends, but the Coronas and shots of Jack Daniels were calling. I got dressed and called up Westwood Taxi, I was sitting at the bar by a little after 9PM.
Usually there's a DJ playing dance music  way too loud, however when I entered the bar that evening much to my delight I saw a drum set being setup in one of the side rooms. The owner who just knows me as "J"  caught me sneaking glimpses and said it was something new at the Cornerstone. They would host a band one or two Saturdays each month, the first band  in this "concert series" was The Brian Dougherty Band. I was very impressed that my "local bar" was starting to host  bands!! The band started playing hit s from the late 60's and early 70's, I was entertained. During the first set I made  up my mind I had to write something the evening. It then occurred to me I needed some notes. So I quickly went  to t he bar and asked for a pen and paper. I received a long sheet of paper from t he credit card machine which  would be the last choice my chicken scratch . Before I knew it I was sitting down a few feet from Brian, the bands lead singer the extremely talented female vocalist Rosie Berlinghof who according to the band's MySpace page, ".....brings a strong, soulful voice to the classics which include Janis Joplin, Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow and Chrissy Hines." If you think the bands just boasting, let me put your  doubts to rest, she definitely held my attention through  the entire set.
The band also does decent covers of some of the most recognizable legends of rock and  roll including The Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton, Journey and Neil  Young. I enjoyed every minute of it and didn't get home until after 1:30!!
It's too early to say whether or not I will get an "official article" or even an interview out of this entry, but  I can try..............stay tuned!!!
Please visit the bands MySpace Page at:The Brian Dougherty Band.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Grandma in Florida

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Mom Poem