The King's Speech WINS

Well it's a guilty pleasure of mine, I do watch the  Oscars. Maybe it's because such  a movie nut it's actually the one awards program I care about.  People say Oscar's evil twin, the  Razzies, which celebrate the WORST of the movies, is just as entertaining. The nominees for Best Picture, Black Swan, Inception, The Kids Are Alright,(I also enjoyed )True Grit, The Fighter Toy Story 3, Wintere's Bone(I liked a lot) all deserved the nomination and truthfully I wouldn't have been surprised No matter who won this year.

Admittedly I haven't actually seen The King's Speech yet, but everyone knows the story about how King George VI of Britain overcame a stutter to become England's King in one of the most important times history. The story is about the King ,played by Colin Firth overcoming his stuttering problem with the help of a speech therapist Lionel Logue, played by veteran English ac tor Geoffrey Rush.  I won't bother going into details. The  essence of the story is really overcoming a disability, although I doubt you'll find the  word "disability" anywhere in the films description nor in any review. The movie is uplifting by all accounts and the end King George overcomes the stutter and there you go. From what I have read, seen and heard about the film, I call tell the King did "live with a disability" but tried to hide it, much like FDR did when he was in the public eye.
There have been a handful; of films about folks overcoming  disabilities, My Left Foot,Ray, now The King's Speech who have won awards. All of the involved real people with real disabilities, something Hollywood needs to take some notice!!!
Congratulations to all the winners

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Grandma in Florida

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Twenty Seven years later