Project Rebirth

I had this huge essay planned about September 11th. It would start out how my dad woke me out of a sound sleep and just ordered "Turn on your TV QUICK. I would write about how I) fumbled for the remote and saw the replay of the first plane striking the tower and how I stood there in total shock like the rest of the country. Then I went where I also go when I hear of an incident of such magnitude, my police scanner where I would proceed to listen to the events unfold. Altho ugh I have to say I didn't hear the first "MAYDAY" before the towers crumbled.........I'm glad I didn't hear it. The ham radio was tuned to the two ham repeaters used in an emergency in NYC. I just listened and prayed all day long, since I knew a few people who work in the towers, most of them made it out ok, one did not. Like many Americans that day I grieved both publicly and privately. I knew people who made it out alive, I knew people who didn't make it. However on that day I just sat and listened as much as I could.
Now that I set the mood it's time to lift your spirits again! A few months after that horrific day, a website popped up that caught my eye. There are still tons of websites about the World Trade Center and the 9/11 tragedy. Unfortunately like the Kennedy Assassination, many of them spew conspiracy theories and think George Bush had a hand in the attacks. However there is one site that focuses on the rebuilding of the World Trade Center called Project Rebirth! I signed up for the updates to the site and check it out a few times a year. Since there is indeed a webcam on the site, I take a look around at the progress down at Ground Zero. I also is a reminder of what happened that day while giving the country a reason to look forward.
So take more than a moment and go through the site.
http://www.projectrebirth.org/index.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part I

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part III