Rochester Review--Part II

Like all other conventions getting there and the action on the trading floor is only  part of the fun. Nestled between the Wednesday Welcome Reception Dinner and the Friday Night Auction is Thursday night which usually means an actual night on the town. Clark Wothe usually acts as our recreation director and always finds something that emphasizes the city we're in. This time it was a boat ride through part of the Erie Canal
system. Around five thirty a bunch of us assembled in the hotel lobby and piled into our cars to make the twenty minute trip from Rochester over to  Lockport where after a quick bite we b/oarded the boat to travel the Genessee River and the  Erie Canal. I have never traveled on a canal before and while I have seen the process on TV and understand how it works, sitting on a boat while it rises  is a completely different adventure. The boat we were on was originally the west coast and the pilot gave a little history of how it got to t he Erie Canal

Another little bonus is I FINALLY saw "dock plates" in use. Ever now and then I get  email request for dock plates and I had no idea what they were or that they were even collectible. However people can say the same thing about automobile license plates I guess.  Unlike automobile plates, dock plates are stationary that are like street numbers on houses

I watched documentaries on the Panama Canal on TV  but to be in an actual working lock is quite an experience! The only thiung missing was of course my scannere, which was being repaired.....again. although the boat had a marine radio parked on Channel 16 (156.800). I never monitored an actual river before but there wasn't a lot of traffic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part I

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part III