Justin's Rules for Blogging

Please read this first:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/warningyourcleverlittleblogcouldgetyoufired

I am not saying I'm the autority on blogging because I have only been doing it for a few weeks. However I have written in public forums and have been exposed to every kinds of reaction to my writing known to man. People questioning wether I wrote something is probablly the worst feedback someone could get. So I take my writing, wether it be an article, a letter or even a quick e-mail very seriously. This is coming from someone who puts a greater value on the written word over the spoke one! It's easier to deny something you say, you can write it off as an emotional reaction. When you write something you can't take it back, that's it! People try to do it all the time, I have tried a few times. It never works because folks on the recieving end assume that if you put in the effort to sit down and compose a note, you mean ever word. Atleast I do, sometimes I throw a few things in for "effect' but usually I write from the heart but I also let my mind filter stuff out. You can be passionate about something without having it control your emotions. I used to be guilty of that, but you don't see any of the writing on the Internet, yeah like you would look for it anyway. Back when blogging first started "real reporters" scoffed at the concept. Now they are starting to be seen as competition. Here are some "rules" I made up (they are more like guidelines but it doesn't have the same ring):

1. Write like people read it. Yeah stupid but true. Ok it's yor blog but make people want to read it, show your opinion, but don't go overboard. While it's true you want to get your point across, you need to give something more juicy so they'll read moree

2. Respect the people who you write about. This is hard especially when it involves anything political, but even if I disagree with someone, I don't want to see them hit while they are down. People confuse hating a person and disagree with them. It seems the line that divides critizism and attacking is getting more blurred. This is something nobody likes, but everybody does it anyway. Folks need to get a clue attack the other side only gets you so far than people stop listening, AHEM Mr. Dean (had to write it)

3. Expect negative feedback even when you say something 'everyone SHOULD agree on' there is always some person waiting in the wings with rotten tomatos. Some of my best letters are crtizing other writers, of course the seldomly get published.

4. Expirence sometimes helps. I can tell the bloggers who have been p ublished on paper and the ones who just decided one day to hop on the 'Net and fire away. Although getting printed might defeat your entire purpose of blogging, usually after getting published changes a writer's prospective. I started out writing a Journal, then progressed into articles and now have started blogging. Each a different medium, each has its good and bad points. All formats are good practice! When I started this blog I said to myself, oh no I'm back to the Journal. Now I'm starting to see the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part I

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Delaware to Florida by County