Black eye courtesy of Michael J. Fox

In case it hasn't been clear before I do have CerebralPalsy and if you did a serach for my name on Google or even looked through the pages of this blog you'll see while I don 't focus on the topic exclusively, I write about it when the time warran ts. It also gives me a little bit of a license to point out some misrepresentations the general public makes about folks with disabilities. I am also very harsh when people accuse my of usinjg my disability to get sympathy even thou gh I admit I do it on a very RARE OCCASION! I am also extremely critical of people who use it too often.........enter Michael J. Fox.
Unlike most celeberties even before he came down with Parkison's, Fox was someone who people respected, I do too. I am saying not he is flawless nor am I idiolizing him, however he has always stayed somewhat above the fray when it came to mixing politics with fame. He's a devoted Democrat but doesn't think if you're a Republican you're going to Hell. I admired the way he used his noterity to bring a cause close to his heart to the forefront of American politics without accusing anyone of murder -or parading around pictures of dead loved ones like they were campiegn posters. Fox also is pretty political saavy. He has won Emmys for his portrayl of a political advisor to t he Mayor of NYC. Acting isn't all fake. So imagine my surprise when I saw his face, along with body shaking, on a commercial supporting a Democratic Missouri Senate Canidate. I still think he's doing a good thing for millions of people, it's just I want to point to the opening paragraphs of my book--"Living With a Disability" . One of the common themes is not to intentionally elicit sympathy, that's for "disabled people". Fox committed what I believe to be a cardinal sin for people with physical challeges. Now he's under attack from that blowhard Rush Limbaugh .
I am sure Fox is having second doubts, not about his message, but the way it was delivered. He was used, the one thing someone like him should avoid!
Rush Limbaugh's Reaction
Michael J. Fox Foundation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Grandma in Florida

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Twenty Seven years later