Christmas Note 2019

Hello Friends and Family


Over the past few days I am sure you've gotten your share of holiday
greeting cards. I have receive greetings from friends and family.. I enjoy
seeing kids group, although it makes me feel old. Especially when I
realize my nephew Zander is approaching double digits.. He'll be 10  in
July! My niece Quinn will be e-eight the month after and I just wonder why
does time move so fast? Then I realize how much happened in just ,one year
and then it all becomes clear...

First things first my brother Chris, his wife Natalie and their children
Zander and Quinn are doing well. It seems both Zander and Quinn have
inherited both parents genes. They are tall and healthy. I got to see both
of them play soccer this season  and am amazed on how they have matured as
players. Chris and Natalie were coaches, they are both natural leaders. I
see a lot more Chris coming out in Zander this year, confident but
reserved. While Quinn is truly her own girl, she is very independent and
is ready to conquer  the world.....

My other brother Pete and his wife Sue still live in Pennsylvania with
their dog Buster..... They visited her for ,Thanksgiving, which is always
a great time. Sue's parents live in West Cape May so we all gathered
together for dinner. We then went over to Sue's parents the following
Saturday where we were joined by her sister and bother-in-law and their
three boys. My mother sympathizes with Sue's sister a lot!

Speaking of mom and dad they are doing fine! We celebrated Dad's 75th
birthday back in September. My brothers  took my dad on a fishing trip, I
was spared the high seas and the sea sickness. We did a family bike trip
out to the Cape May lighthouse which included a picnic! We all enjoyed a
weekend together and always wish we could do it more often. Mom is still
the glue that holds us together. We made it down to Florida to visit my
Uncle Chuck this past winter. While we were down there we drove from
Jacksonville all the way down to Key West! It was an adventure!!!; I still
don't know how she does it after 45 years! They both enjoy  their walks
almost every day. They also went on vacation in Maryland by themselves for
the first time since I can remember. Meaning no friends, no ,kids, just
them and they survived!!

While my folks explored the Eastern Shore, I travelled to my 12th license
plate convention in Knoxville Tennessee with my good friend Ed Butler!
Three days  five states and a lot of memories. It was the first road trip
ip I d id w without my folks by my side!!  Despite the few bumps in the
roads, Ed and I had a wonderful trip. One thing I am greatful for is
seeing different parts of the country!!

Alright I have been generous with thee family now it's my time, saving the
best  for last of course. The two biggest things going on this year are
BOTH related to the fire  service.  Since last year I have been a frequent
contributor to 1st Responder News. I wrote for them long ago but only
submitted regular articles and other items since last year. Unlike Bergen
County there aren't a lot of people down in Cape May County who submit
material.. The editor has helped me  grow as a writer and has given me one
of the greatest gifts, a way to contribute to the fire service.

 Speaking of the fire service, the  Chief of the Cape May Fire Department
 recognized me for my efforts. Last month I was summoned down to the fire
station, I arrived to find a helmet with my name on it sitting on the
table. The Cape May Fire Department had been around since 1875, I'm only
one of literally a handful of honorary members! To say I  am touched
would be the understatement of the year!! I am truly humbled to be part
of another fine group of people

Well I have kept you long enough!! I want to wish you all a safe and
healthy 2020 (man really)! Please keep in touch whenever possible!!
--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK\

Comments

Adelaide Dupont said…
A quick happy eighth to the eight-year-old.

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Poem

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part I

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part III