COVID-18 and plate meets

Folks,
 I think I bring a few things to the table here. First off I co-host a meet in a high densely populated area, the most populated in the country with four major cities in lass than a 500 mile radius. Secondly I myself, as person with a pre-exsisting condition as highly aware of the risks and benefits of hosting a meet during these challenge times.  Thirdly my  emergency management background gives me a unique perspective into how different states handle the pandemic, promise it won't get too political. I will  say this from the outset, while the social distancing guidelines should be universal, there is not a "one-size fits all magic bullet approach" this really is uncharted territory.
After talking it oveer with my co-host and the place where we would hold our meet, it was decided that we wouldn' t have a meet this year. Even though we booked the place last year, and the meet was on the same weekend, we decided to hold off on the official announcement. When the virus started we thought since our meet was usually in October we'd be fine. However once things like the ALPCA Convention and Hershey were cancelled, along with other events, we began to take notice and contacted the location where we hold our meet.The place was closed until further notice and they didn't know owhen it would open again. With the amount of cases going up it wasn't looking good. Nobody can predict the future
As a host I need to be at the meet myself, but there are many factors I also need to consider. You all know my tales of woe of getting to meets and conventions. Like Clark my parents are getting on in years and aren't in the best of health. I still rely on them to get me places. I have only been out of Cape May for doctor visits since March. While I do still go around town, I social distance and wear a mask in stores, even though it's hard for me to get them on and off and I do sometime gag from it. Even though I'm physically healthy, I am even more isolated than I was before which has caused some pretty hefty depression. There's nothing I want to do more than see my collecting friends and swap tin..
An aside a lot of people have second homes in Cape May and surrounding towns, they have come from New York City and Philiadelphia.  our first case of Corona  virus was from a visitor from NYC. There is a lot of local resentment, even some retaliation against cars with out of state plates. Visitors SAY they'll take precautions, but fail to follow through, "they're on vacation". Cape May doesn't have the hospital services to support too many people. Plus I hate to tell you folks just because we are dealing with this virus doesn't mean other illnesses and injuries stop. As you all know I am very close to the fire department down here.   Besides license plate meets there's nothing more I like to do than go down to the firehouse to chat. I became aware one of the firefighters contracted the virus, he's ok and will be fine, but now the firehouse is off limits.
As much as it saddens me, I'd be a hypocrite if I hosted a meet this fall. It's not worth the risk to me or the ones I love. Before you repeat the tired old line, "If you don't feel safe don't come" remember nobody likes missing meets, but it's a killer when a meet is nearby and you- risk your  health, and the health of others to go. We always say it's about people more than plates, well this is the perfect chance to prove that theory. Hopefully when this is over, I'll see you at a meet when this is all over
*********************************
Justin Mattes, 6748

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part I

Trip to CT-- Branchville School visit Part III

Mom Poem