Huntsville Plate Hunting


Yes I made it there and back in one piece thanks to Tim Stentiford, I
can't begin explain how happy I was to get there. Tim, his son Kurt
(one of the kids running around the auction floor and won a junior award
for his display) and I had an incredible journey there and back. We got
delayed in Memphis Saturday night, but otherwise the flights were smooth
and we couldn't ask for better assistance at the airports. Although the
folks at La Gaurdia seem to forget the phrase "handle with care". Like
on family vacation my scooter became a luggage cart and Tim had so much
trade stock, it actually slowed me down, my dad is going to have to
remember that! For the record it was heavier on the way down than on the
way up!! As for Kurt he gave me a hand a couple of times, if he is an
reflection of the next generation of plate collectors, our hobby will
continue to grow. I saw something I never paid attention to before, such
a young man taking such pride in something. Sure Tim gave him a hand
putting that display together physically, but it was Kurt's idea,
that's what counts
The scooter worked out perfectly!! I was able to cruise the Covention
Hall with ease, although actually getting it out of the car Tuesday was
a bit of a trick! For the record I didn't knock any displays over and
everyone kept their toes, I think! Too bad it doesn't have a trip
counter or else I could tell you exactly how many laps I did around the
hall. One bad thing is I forget to print out a copy of my KC2GIK license
plate, we'll save that for next year! Although I bought an ALPCA sticker
I stuck on, so I am getting there! I need to give the scooter a good
cleaning before it goes back down the basement, but it held up well and
the battery never ran out before I got back up to the room! Yes Kurt
and Matt did beg to ride it. I replied with my best "uncle" impression
and said not this year.
People I never met came up to me and congratulated me on my
determination. You have no idea the feeling of not only accomplishing
something terrific, but to have others recognize the feat! The trip
couldn't have been possible without Rick K., who so graciously
split his room with me. . If I needed something,Rick was always a phone
call away . It was a huge leap of faith on his part because he had
never met me before. I am sure Rick held his breathe more than once as
I walked around, for the record I didn't fall once. Every night when
we got back to the room we pull out our lastest finds and reviw each
others stash. We went out to eat and just chatted about our families,
shared collecting stories and just hiad so much fun. Although it took
some time to get to know each other, by the time the convention
officially started, Rick and I had struck a friendship I will always
treasure. Above is a picture of us on the convention floor.
As far as plates I acquired I finally got a Vermont wheelchair and
managed to pick up a Virginia Fight Terrorism plate with a wheelchair on it.
That was very cool. This year at the auction I bagged the convention
plate #99 which was a total surprise to me. I didn't even to down there
with the intention of bidding on a low number plate. My paddle just
popped up when it was on the block!
I want to congratulated the officers and local members of ALPCA who
pulled together another wonderful Convention! As you
can read I had a great time. There were people coming up to me and said,
"Well if you can make Huntsville, you can make Salt Lake City" I just
turned and chuckled to myself..........little do they know!


To view some of my pictures click on the link below:

Justin's ALPCA 2007 Convention in Huntsville, AL Pics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Grandma in Florida

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Twenty Seven years later