Rochester Review

Well who says the shortest distance between to points is no fun? I tell you folks I loved every second of the convention despite the trips there and back.  I boarded Amtrak in Poughkeepsie headed to Rochester with the scanner in one hand and a cold soda in the other (yes I do drink stuff besides Coronas and Yuenglings) Everything was fine except  when we got to Buffalo and had to let a CSX train through. Although I did enjoy listening the the conductors jockey around one track! This  delayed me so I missed the parking meet completely .


The view from our hotel room
Originally when I arrived I was going to have the hotel shuttle pick me up but they were over booked so it was good old Rick Kretschmer  to the rescue, like always. He has been a savior on many occasions and we roomed together again in Rochester. Speaking of rooms, we had t he corner room  on the fifth floor and the view was absolutely amazing.

It was great seeing everyone, including Tom Smith, Tom and Susan Allen, Tom Baur and the rest of the plate collecting barflies at the hotel water. Everyone wanted to know how the trip went and I left no detail omitted. However I always ended the discussion, "....but it was worth it", although the juries out on whether my folks agree. Jeff Minard greeted me with a smile and just say h e was glad I made it. Before I knew it I had a cold Yuengling in my hand and called home to tell my concerned mother  I made it. She knew by the sound of my voice things didn't go quite as we planned, but was pleased to see I connected with Rick.

The first day of trading I found where Marco Tramelli and Dale  Bernecker's tables and  they graciously let me setup  my one box of plates up on one of their tables. We each took turns standing watch and talking. I enjoyed chatting with people as they stopped by and was even more thrilled to find I made a few sales in the process!! Everyone seemed to notice during the convention I took the scooter from our hotel over the sky way, parked it near what I now call "The New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania Compound" and roamed parts of the convention on foot which gave Gary Walker to place not one but TWO business cards/ stickers on the back of the seat!!. Yes Gary I had a very hard time peeling them off!!

More later
Justin Mattes ALPCA#6748

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Grandma in Florida

One Contact - Five Lighthouses--W9C

Mom Poem